Similar to physical gift cards, digital gift cards cannot be returned for any reason. Because a live, active card has been delivered, retailers do not allow returns because of the high probability of fraud.
Here are a couple of things to keep in mind prior to purchasing a gift card through Benefit:
1. Be sure you are purchasing from the correct retailer. It's very easy to confuse Bed Bath & Beyond with Bath & Body Works, for example. While we certainly understand the confusion, we don't have the ability to simply exchange cards.
2. Be sure that you review the screen and the warnings included, such as an activation delay. This applies to The Home Depot, as they one of the only retailers with a short activation delay. Just above the "Buy a Card" button we've placed a message in all caps stating "This card takes 1 hour to activate." It's there to let you know that you shouldn't be purchasing this card while standing in the checkout line. We do plan to have them instant by the end of the year, but until then give yourself an hour before attempting to redeem.
3. Don't accidentally buy a card! This seems pretty intuitive, but numerous customers have clicked on a retailer, clicked on Buy A New Card, typed in an amount, clicked next, clicked buy now, and said it was an accident. Technically this is four accidents, but we understand. Unfortunately, retailers will not give you your money back for accidental purchases.
4. Be aware that if you might need to return an item that you purchased with your gift card, more than likely you will be given credit on a new physical gift card. Rarely will a retailer be able to put the money back onto the digital gift card.
5. Review the redemption instructions for a retailer before making your first purchase with them. All retailers are different. Most can be redeemed in the store, while standing in line. Some can only be redeemed online. Some must be printed and taken to the store, since the store doesn't have the ability to scan or type in the gift card. You can see brief instructions at the bottom of the "Buy a new card" screen and also in the info section. You can also review each retailer here: https://www.benefit-mobile.com/our-retailers
It would make it quite impossible for us to pay our causes if we had to honor every return request sent our way. So please take note of the tips above.
If you've purchased a gift card that you no longer need, you can send it as a gift by clicking the tiny envelope icon. This will send the card to your email. You can forward the email to the recipient. You can also sell the card. There are several websites that will sell that card for you on the secondary market.